Seminar: Navigating Teenage Depression
Onset of mood disorders is typically in mid-to-late adolescence and this seminar helps people identify early warning signs, with a focus on the importance of early intervention. Navigating Teenage Depression also looks at mental health problems within the context of normal teenage development and associated pressures. The presentation offers practical strategies for communicating with someone who you are concerned about, when and where to go for help, and strategies for building resilience.
- Wednesday 30th May 2012, Cobar NSW (Supported by Cobar High School)
- Wednesday 20th June 2012, Casino NSW (In partnership with the Rural Adversity Mental Health Program)
- Wednesday 25th July 2012, Cooma NSW (In partnership with Carer Assist - Murrumbidgee and Southern NSW)
Workshop: Building Personal ResilienceDelivered by facilitators from the Black Dog Institute, this workshop looks at what resilience is and how adversity can play a positive role in our lives. It also includes several workshop activities designed to help participants enhance their own personal resilience to life’s stressors.
- Thursday 31st May 2012, Cobar NSW
- Thursday 21st June 2012, Casino NSW (In partnership with the Rural Adversity Mental Health Program)
- Thursday 26th July 2012, Cooma NSW (In partnership with Carer Assist - Murrumbidgee and Southern NSW)
HeadStrong PresentationA powerful presentation for high school students about mental health and wellbeing, mood disorders (depression and bipolar disorder), and resilience. Based on a series of engaging, humorous illustrations that convey complex concepts to students. Emphasises wellbeing strategies, help-seeking avenues, early intervention benefits, and works to dispel stigma. Topics include teen challenges, mood disorder facts and statistics, at-risk personality types, coping strategies, fears of seeking help, finding the right help – who/when/how, benefits of good therapy, family and school support, and what is and how to build resilience. Delivered by a staff member. Illustrations by Matthew Johnstone, Creative Director at the Black Dog Institute, author and presenter. This presentation is part of the HeadStrong curriculum resource.
- Wednesday 30th May 2012, Cobar High School
- Thursday 31st May 2012, Bourke High School
Black Dog Institute Information StallsThe Black Dog Institute holds information stalls at various community events to allow people to find out more about the Black Dog Institute and get free fact sheets about depression and bipolar disorder.
- 14th – 16th June 2012, Casino NSW: Primex Rural Field Days